Green Destinations is a non-profit foundation for sustainable tourism development and recognition, leading a global partnership of more than 50 country representatives. They work for the benefit of the Green Destinations Community: more than 200 destinations in 50+ countries, all dedicated to sustainable tourism. Together, they aim to make tourism better and more sustainable.
With their Awards & Certification Program (ACP), they offer destinations effective opportunities to improve sustainability, quality, competitiveness and market visibility, while receiving independent recognition for concrete efforts. Currently, more than 90 destinations worldwide participate in the ACP. Other benefits of participation include:
- Access to their comprehensive online management system for assessment and reporting, guiding them towards improvements and realizing their sustainable destination management ambitions.
- Independent evaluation of sustainability performance and progress, resulting in incremental recognition for achieved levels of sustainability with Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum Awards and GSTC – Accredited Certification.
- Training and support opportunities from their Training Centre and trained Advisors around the world.
- Connection to a global community of destinations striving for sustainable tourism, coming together each year in their Global Green Destinations Days conference.
- Market visibility: members are allowed to use their achieved status in marketing and are featured on an increasing number of responsible travel promotion platforms.
Green Destinations organizes the The Green Destinations Top 100 Sustainable Destinations competition to showcase sustainable tourism stories and good practices of destinations around the globe. In 2020 the competition celebrated its sixth edition, the finalists list was unveiled at the first-ever online Global Green Destinations Days (2020GGDD).”