Centara Hotels and Resorts, announced its approval for certification by Vireo SRL, a GSTC (Global Sustainable Tourism Council) – Accredited certification body, for meeting global standards for sustainable travel and tourism known as GSTC criteria. This certification represents a major milestone in Centara’s ongoing commitment to sustainability.
The Centara Hotels & Resorts corporate office and 12 hotels are currently approved for certification, and the organisation is continuing to work toward its long-term goal of achieving full certification by 2025.
The 12 hotels which are recognised for meeting the GSTC Criteria are:
– Centara Grand & Bangkok Convention Centre at CentralWorld
– Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok
– Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
– Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Hua Hin
– Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort Pattaya
– Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
– Centara Villas Samui
– Centara Villas Phuket
– Centara Hotel Hat Yai
– Centra by Centara Government Complex Hotel & Convention Centre Chaeng Watthana
– Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives
– Centara Ras Fushi Resort & Spa Maldives
Being certified means that Centars’s product and services comply with the highest social and environmental standards. The 4 main GSTC criteria for hotels include:
- Demonstrate effective sustainable management
- Maximize social and economic benefits to the local community and minimize negative impacts
- Maximize benefits to cultural heritage and minimize negative impacts
- Maximize benefits to the environment and minimize negative impacts
In honour of this prestigious certification, Centara hosted a celebratory handover ceremony between Dr. Luigi Mazzaglia, Group CEO of Vireo, and top Centara executives, including Supatra Chirathivat, Senior Executive Vice President – Corporate Affairs & Social Responsibilities of Centara Hotels & Resorts. This special event took place on 7th February 2023 at Centara Grand CentralWorld.
“We are honoured to be recognised by Vireo SRL for our continued efforts in working to meet GSTC Criteria and achieving an international sustainability standard throughout the entire Centara Hotels & Resorts organisation. With our corporate office and 12 hotels already approved for certification, we are more than optimistic that we will reach our goal of 100% certification by 2025. By adopting sustainable, green practices, we are actively choosing to be more aware of our environmental impact and aligning our values and vision for a more mindful and ecologically conscious future,” said Supatra Chirathivat, Senior Executive Vice President – Corporate Affairs & Social Responsibilities of Centara Hotels & Resorts.
“At Vireo, we are focussed on proposing the best and most credible certifications to promote sustainability and social responsibility in tourism. This is why we are proud to certify Centara Hotels & Resorts and 12 of their hotels for GSTC certification. We believe that Centara has made impressive efforts in their commitment to sustainability and look forward to following their continued successes as they continue to work toward certification across their entire organisation,” said Dr. Luigi Mazzaglia, Group CEO of Vireo SRL.